This modular course is designed to bring you the key techniques that you need to master in order to write a book that has commerical potential. Building on my own experience, each module consists of a 30 minute video, selected PDFs and bonus material that outlines what you need to consider as you embark on a new project – our aim is to get your first draft down on paper, and then to shape it through the rewriting and redrafting process. Here’s the introduction in case you missed it:
You may be arriving here with a first draft already finished, or the bulk of your story written but struggling with a particular aspect of the process – choose the unit/s that will benefit you most. If you are just starting out, I guide you through creating the scaffolding that will support your story starting with Part 1 – there’s never been a better time to write, so start now!
Each course unit costs €24.95, just click the paypal button below to be taken the unit page to get unlimited access to the unit video, specially selected PDFs and bonus video.
Buy unlimited access to the full course (all five units) for €99.95
You will be taken to the unit page directly from Paypal – ensure that you bookmark it for future reference!
Unit 1: What’s the Big Idea? €24.95
- Where do ideas come from?
- What sort of idea is it? A novel or a short story?
- Thinking time is vital – no time is ever wasted in the writing process
- Research around your idea
- Create a story board
- Writing a blurb and why it’s a vital starting point
- Expanding your blurb into a synopsis
- Start building the scaffolding that will support your story
Unit 2: Whose Story is It? €24.95
- Developing character
- Character names and what they tell you
- Understanding character, asking them questions.
- Create a character bible
- Avoiding cliched characters
- Finding images of your characters
- How many characters should there be in your story?
- Whose story is it? What Point of View should you use?
- Thinking about the best way to tell your story
Unit 3: To Plot or Not to Plot? €24.95
- Are you a plotter?
- Finding the direction of your story
- Moving the story forwards
- My plotting method
- Allowing your characters to guide you
- There’s no right or wrong way whether you decide to plot or prefer to write organically – tips from writers who approach the process differently to me
- Getting the technical details right
- How to approach each chapter
- Focusing on getting to the end of the first draft
Unit 4: Getting Started €24.95
- The blank page is daunting – ways to ease yourself into the story
- Understanding that nothing is wasted.
- What’s the point of entry to your story?
- Giving yourself permission to write a messy first draft
- What is writers block and how can you deal with it?
- Showing not telling and why it’s vital to master
- Writing in scenes using character action and dialogue to show us what’s happening.
- Using the five senses – and where’s the light coming from?
- Writing in layers
Unit 5: Writing to the End €24.95
- Finishing the first draft
- How to approach the second draft
- The editing process, what to look for
- Reading on the screen and in print.
- Ensuring your timeline makes sense
- Character development – how do they change as a result of the story?
- Adding character description and detail – painting a picture for the reader
- Dialogue – does it sound real, is it needed, is it ‘saying’ the right thing?
- Does the story need new twists? Is it ‘original and fresh’
- Are the stakes high enough for the main characters to engage us?
With every unit there are two additional PDFs and bonus video materials:
- Understanding the business
- Finding your community
- Coping with rejection
- What to do if you are offered a publishing contract
- ‘Just keep writing.’